Monday, July 23, 2007

Life is risky

How I ate while pregnant -- megnut.com

So reasonable! And no less than I would expect from the very reasonable Meg Hourihan (thanks to whom we now have blogger -- thanks, Meg!).

It wasn't hard for me to avoid sushi, rare meat, or raw dairy while pregnant. They're not part of my regular diet and, yeah, it's only nine months.

My risk-aversion, however, was truly tested when it came to coffee and alcohol. I went cold turkey with my first, giving up my daily caffeine from the moment that line turned pink. And, holy mother of all caffeine headaches, I have never been in so much pain in my life. Scratch that. I had never been in so much pain in my life. Then the baby came.

With the second, I did some research, I did some math, and I figured -- you know what? -- One cup of coffee a day and the occasional glass of wine in the later trimesters weren't going to hurt anyone, my precious fetus included.

So glad I did.

No comments: